Thursday, October 30, 2008

Martial Arts doesn't help me lose weight

A revelation: there's a better way to lose weight

This morning I got on the scales and it read 97.9 kilograms (215.4 pounds), that's the lightest I've been since I can remember, certainly for the last ten years.

I'm still doing Krav Maga, but by ONLY doing Krav my weight dropped to about 100 kilograms and dropped no further.

I came across a weight loss system, which is like many out there, that promotes an eating regime that consists of:
* smallish portions compared to what I was used to
* more frequent meals containing -
* high protein
* low carbohydrates
* plus walking EVERY day for at least half an hour.

I've been doing this eating and walking plan for nearly three weeks now and I've broken below my previous lowest weight which I achieved by just doing martial arts.

I had a similar experience when I used to go to the gym for weight training and aerobic fitness: I'd drop my weight to a certain point and then it would just stop, but I was still considered well overweight for my height and I could never get rid of the blubber of fat around my mid-section, no matter how physically hard I pushed myself.

I've finally learned that most of the weight loss I seek will be achieved through what I put or DON'T put into my mouth. I've learned that my workouts were burning the carbs I was putting in, not the fatty deposits I wanted to lose. By dropping the carb intake, my body now has to get its energy from my plentiful fat supply, and I'm seeing the difference.

I still want the physical fitness and self-defense skills that come from doing martial arts, but I now know that for weight loss, my eating habits have a bigger impact.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.